North Lake Tapps County Park
About the Park
This popular swimming and boat launch area is located on the north side of Lake Tapps. A largely undeveloped135 acre site with approximately 10,000 feet of waterfront access including a sandy swimming area. Lake Tapps County Park offers spectacular views of Mount Rainier to the south and is a great place for kids and adults to swim.
The park has several amenities including:
- Barbecue grills
- Beach access
- Boat ramp
- Seasonal concession stand
- Picnic tables
During the summer months, come early on hot days and weekends. Parking is limited and the gates are closed to vehicles and boats when parking is full.
- Open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April through September.
- No new vehicles allowed to enter the park after 7 p.m. from April through September.
- Open 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. from October through March.
- No entry after 3:30 p.m. October-March.
Normally the lake is not at full capacity until late May. Mid to late September the lake level will begin to lower a foot per day.
- The boat launch is now open as of April 9, 2018.
- The boat launch is closed November through March
The park is located at 2002 198th Avenue East, off of 12th Street East in Sumner. Print to North Lake Tapps Park. (map)
Directions From I-5
- Take exit 127 (Puyallup / Mt. Rainier) and head east to Highway 512
- Merge onto WA-167 North towards Seattle
- Take the Stewart Road / 8th Street East exit toward Pacific / Milton
- Turn east (right) onto 8th Street East / Stweart Road SW
- 8th Street East / Stewart Road SW becomes Lake Tapps Parkway East
- Lake Tapps Parkway East becomes 9th Street East
- Go approximately one block to entrance of park
- Take the 166th Avenue East exit and head north (left) on 166th
- Stay on Sumner Tapps Highway as it bends east (right) and turns into 16th Street East. Then it will bend north and turn into 182nd Avenue East
- Turn right on 9th Street East which bends gradually and turns into 12th Street East
- Turn right on 198th Avenue East and go approximately one block to park entrance