Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
About the Program
Some activities to promote tourism are funded through a tax on lodging at hotels, motels, inns, bed and breakfasts, camps and other lodging facilities in which guests stay for a short time.
The funding is allocated to activities that promote tourism in unincorporated Pierce County and in the cities and towns of Bonney Lake, Buckley, Carbonado, DuPont, Edgewood, Fircrest, Milton, Orting, Roy, Ruston, South Prairie, Steilacoom, Sumner, University Place, and Wilkeson.
2018 Meeting Schedule
The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee meets on the following dates:
- February 15 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Note: This meeting will be held at City of Lakewood, 6000 Main Street SW,
Lakewood, WA, 98499)
- May 24 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m
- August 23 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- November 29 | 2:30 pm - 4:30 p.m.
Any changes to the schedule or meeting place, including cancellations or special meetings, will be posted on this page and will be prominently displayed at the Pierce County Economic Development Department office at 950 Pacific Avenue, Suite 720, in Tacoma.
The LTAC Application for 2019 funding will be available mid to late summer of 2018.
- Applications may be submitted by any organization, group, or business (not-for-profit, municipality, etc.) interested in promoting tourism in the eligible areas noted above.
- Applications are not accepted online.
- Selected applicants may be requested to provide an oral presentation to the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee (LTAC).
- If applying for a capital project, please contact Kathy Sorgenfrei before completing the application.
- Timeline for Lodging Tax applications and funding (TBA)
- Committee recommendations are submitted to the County Executive and County Council to be included in the following year's budget.
- Insurance requirements if awarded funds.
- Recipients that receive federals funds over $500,000 will be required to submit an audit report per A-133 federal requirements at point of contract with Pierce County for lodging tax funds.
- Activities which will be considered for funding include, but are not limited to, those that increase tourism by:
- Advertising, publicizing and distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists
- Developing strategies to expand tourism
- Operate tourism promotional agencies
- Construct / renovate tourism related facilities in which Pierce County retains an ownership interest
Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
The 12 members of the LTAC are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the Pierce County Council, The Committee recommends use of the annual allocation of funds and advises the County on tourism activities. The Commission is administered by Pierce County's Economic Development Department.
The Committee includes:
- One County Council Member (who serves as chair)
- One representative of the participating cities and towns
- Four members who collect lodging taxes
- Four members who are users of lodging taxes
- Two members at-large who are not affiliated with the lodging industry nor the tourism industry
Past Funding Awards
- 2017 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2016 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2015 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2014 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2013 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List