About the Program
The Lodging Tax program is funded through an excise tax on hotel rooms, cabins, and campgrounds throughout the County.
The funding is allocated to activities that promote tourism in unincorporated Pierce County and in the cities and towns of Bonney Lake, Buckley, Carbonado, DuPont, Edgewood, Fircrest, Milton, Orting, Roy, Ruston, South Prairie, Steilacoom, Sumner, University Place, and Wilkeson.
Lodging Tax Advisory Committee The 12 members of the LTAC are appointed by the County Executive and confirmed by the Pierce County Council, The Committee recommends use of the annual allocation of funds and advises the County on tourism activities. The Commission is administered by Pierce County's Economic Development Department.
The Committee includes:
2018 Meeting Schedule
- One County Council Member (who serves as chair)
- One elected official of a city or town that collects lodging tax that goes to Pierce County
- Four members from the lodging industry who collect lodging taxes
- Four members from organizations that are eligible to use lodging funds
- Two members at-large who are not affiliated with the lodging industry nor the tourism industry
The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee meets on the following dates:
- February 15 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Note: This meeting will be held at City of Lakewood, 6000 Main Street SW,
Lakewood, WA, 98499)
- May 24 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m
- August 23 | 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- November 29 | 2:30 pm - 4:30 p.m.
Any changes to the schedule or meeting place, including cancellations or special meetings, will be posted on this page and will be prominently displayed at the Pierce County Economic Development Department office at 950 Pacific Avenue, Suite 720, in Tacoma.
The LTAC Application for 2019 funding will be available in June of 2018.
- Applications may be submitted by a not-for-profit organization or municipality interested in promoting tourism in the eligible areas noted above.
- If applying for a capital project, please contact Kathy Sorgenfrei at 253-798-6906.
- Insurance requirements if awarded funds.
- Recipients that receive federals funds over $500,000 will be required to submit an audit report per A-133 federal requirements at point of contract with Pierce County for lodging tax funds.
- Projects which will be considered for funding include:
- Event Marketing
- Individual Leisure Marketing
- Asset/Product Development
- Event Development
- Sports Event Development
- Personnel and Administration
Past Funding Awards
- 2018 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2017 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2016 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2015 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List
- 2014 Lodging Tax Funding Awards List