The Pierce County Auditor’s Office is opening a special appointment period to recruit individuals to write “Against” committee statements for the Aug. 7, 2018, Primary Election Local Voters’ Pamphlet for Fire Protection District No. 18 (Orting Valley Fire & Rescue), Proposition No. 1 and 2 (Six-Year Levy Lid Lifts for Fire Protection Services).
The district did not appoint “Against” committee members to prepare statements for the local voters’ pamphlet. As a result, RCW 29A.32.280 directs the Auditor’s Office to seek out and appoint up to three members to form the committee. District resolutions and explanatory statements can be found on our August 7, 2018 Primary Election webpage.
- Be a resident and registered voter of Pierce County for at least one year immediately prior to the appointment; and
- Pledge to work cooperatively with other members of the committee; and
- Have ready access to email
- Read, understand and fulfill the obligations described in the Elections Guide for Jurisdictions – 2018, which includes:
- Committee appointments and participation; and
- Word limits, format requirements, and deadlines for statements and rebuttals
- Have your name appear in the local voters’ pamphlet and waive anonymity.
At least one committee member must be willing to submit phone number, email, or website address for publication in the local voters’ pamphlet. Those interested who agree to the above responsibilities can email a name and phone number to email@example.com. Appointments will be made in the order that the requests are received.
The deadline to request a committee appointment is May 15, 2018 at noon. The deadline to submit a committee statement is May 15, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Individuals requesting appointment on May 15 must be prepared to submit the statement by email on the same day. The Auditor’s Office is unable to extend the deadline.
Cindy Hartman, Pierce County Chief Deputy Auditor
Damon Townsend, Elections Supervisor