Go To Search
Click to Home
Find a Department
"Blue Card" - Respond to a summons
You can respond one time only using the phone or web site:
  • On the phone: call 253-798-8808 -- one time only
    • You can accept your juror service on the phone line.
    • To excuse – see below
    • To check excusal status - see below
  • To answer on the web now -- one time only
    • To double check if you have been excused yet
    • Do not use this during the week of your jury service; it will not give you the correct information.
    • If it says "Not Eligible" you are logging into the wrong place for a work attendance slip or for the "Next Day's Call Group"
    • If this fails see below

  • Log-in with your badge number and date of birth:
    • Phone (253-798-8808)
    • Web – Look for “ Blue Summons Postcard”
  • Double check your status the same way.
  • Web –www.co.pierce.wa.us/superior/jury
  • If you will be reporting for your Jury service date, it will say 'You are expected'.

  • Select a new date before you log in to the web.
  • Usually 5 months out.
  • Go through all 4 steps, at the end it will tell you that you are either expected, postponed or excused
  • You can postpone to a different date once a year.
  • Select any Monday (not a holiday) between now and 5 months out.



You can send us a written request, FAX, or email for excusal and/or postponement along with your juror badge number to:

      Jury Administration
      Rm. 123
      930 Tacoma Ave. S.
      Tacoma, WA 98402 
      FAX - 253-798-7057

This address is the return address on your Blue postcard or the Jury Summons form

Employment or Health provider letterhead
  • Name
  • Badge Number
  • Short explanation
  • Your signature --you are in agreement with this request to be excused.

You can only be excused from jury duty for:
  • Medical Reason - Submit a letter from your healthcare provider stating that due to a medical condition you are unable to serve at this time.

    • Please note that the Court does not keep past medical certificates or letters on file.
  • Employment Conflict- Submit a letter from your employer on their letterhead, stating they cannot release you from your duties at this time or they do not compensate you for jury duty
  • Dependent Care
  • Financial Hardship
  • Student status
  • Military – deployment or living out of the area

How will you know if you are excused? We no longer send out a letter or postcard.
Check your status later by logging in a second time on our Blue Card Log-In page. If you are excused, it will say 'You are excused'.

If you are asking to be excused due to Employment Conflict or a Financial Hardship:

You need to submit a letter stating that it would be a financial hardship for you. The letter should be signed by you and your employer.

What happens if I don't report for jury duty?
Failure to appear is a misdemeanor pursuant to RCW 2.36.170. If you do not report on your scheduled date, you will receive a notice indicating you have failed to appear and that it is a misdemeanor and you may be held in contempt of Court.