Family Law Forms & Instructions


Beginning May 1, 2016, new pattern forms will be accepted for all family law cases and required as of July 1, 2016. Please see the new pattern forms at Washington State Courts.
  • Starting May 1, 2016, you may file the new family law forms, but as of July 1, 2016, you must file the file the new forms.
  • Up to May 1, 2016, continue to file the domestic relations forms. You can find them:
    • in the Categories for "Ending the Marriage," "Third-Party Custody," "Unmarried Parents," Parenting Plan/Residential Schedule," "Child Support," and "Child Relocation;" on the Washington State Court Forms page, and
    • under the heading "Domestic Relations," in the List of All Forms on the Washington State Court Forms page.
  • A case started before May 1, 2016, on the domestic relations forms should be completed after May 1, 2016, with the new family law forms. Exceptions:
    • Response to Petition. If the petitioner serves a petition before May 1, 2016, the respondent should respond to the petition using the domestic relations response form. The domestic relations response forms will be available at Washington State Court Forms at least until May 1, 2017.
    • Proposed orders that were proposed on the domestic relations forms before May 1, 2016, may be entered as final orders after May 1, 2016.

Find Family Law Forms & Instructions

  • Family law help
    Over 15 different slide shows walk you through the filing of different documents in family law matters. This is provided by Tacoma-Pierce County Coordinated Family Law Project.
  • Neighborhood legal and family law clinics
    Local listing of available clinics. Provided by Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services
  • Washington law help
    Get self-help information and find legal aid providers. This is provided by the Northwest Justice Project.
  • Washington State courts
    This state website has all the forms required for beginning and finishing a family law matter. Detailed instructions are given to help you complete the forms. Some resources are available in other languages. This is provided by Administrative Office of the Courts.

Specific to Pierce County