You can view a list of all OPEN POSITIONS within Pierce County.
PIERCE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Court Appointed Attorneys in Minor Guardianship Cases (RCW 11.130)
Pierce County Superior Court is seeking to create a list of qualified local attorneys who are willing to accept appointment by the court to provide legal representation for minors or parents in minor guardianship actions under RCW 11.130. In 2019, the legislature enacted the Uniform Guardianship Act (UGA), RCW 11.130, which repeals RCW 26.10 in its entirety. Article 2 of the UGA concerns Guardianships of Minors and allows for the appointment of an attorney for the minor under certain circumstances. Article 2 also requires the Court to appoint an attorney for an indigent parent who has appeared in the proceeding and objects to the appointment of a guardian. Article 2 further allows for the appointment of an attorney for non-indigent parent under other limited circumstances.
The court appointment rate is currently set by Superior Court at $85.00 per hour, with an initial maximum of twenty (20) hours. No payment for additional hours over this amount shall be made without pre-approval by the assigned trial court judge.
Any attorney who is interested in being placed on this appointment list, should provide the below listed information to Dea Finigan or Leeanne Gossman, at Pierce County Superior Court, 930 Tacoma Avenue South, Room 334, Tacoma, WA. 98402. If you have questions, please contact Ms. Finigan at (253) 798-4193 or Ms. Gossman at (253) 798-2346.
Full Name (First, M.I. Last)
Business Mailing Address
Business Physical Address (if different from the mailing address)
Business E-Mail Address
- What types of cases, minor or parents, are you willing to accept for court appointment?
- Experience/Similar Projects:
- A descriptive narrative of the applicant’s experience and proposed approach to the representation of children in minor guardianship actions, including your case management process, policy and documentation procedures;
- Include the number of years the attorney has been practicing and any previous or additional names under which the attorney has conducted business.
- Describe the attorney’s experience related to representation of parents or children in similar or related types of cases.
- Describe experience handling trials, relevant court experience and other services provided.
- Provide at least three references, within the past three (3) years. Briefly describe your relevant experience, and for each reference provide a current contact name, email and phone number.
- Provide resume and submit proof of membership in the Washington State Bar Association, or proof that membership in the Washington State Bar Association is imminent, provide proof of having taken Title 11 or Title 13 training and disclose any pending or past disciplinary proceedings.
- Understanding of Indigent Representation Services
- Provide a narrative articulating your understanding of the role of an attorney appointed for a minor in a proceeding of this or a similar nature and any unique added value that you may offer.
- Provide a narrative of your ability to work collaboratively, your ability to conduct legal research and write legal briefs, and provide effective advocacy with value-added features or capabilities beneficial to the County.
Court Appointed Attorneys in ADA Cases
Pierce County Superior Court is seeking to add to the list of qualified local attorneys who are willing to accept appointment by the court to represent civil litigants with eligible disabilities under GR-33. Appointments under GR-33 are nearly always for disabled individuals who are eligible due to severe psychological or neurological impairments and have subsequently been found after an evaluation and review of healthcare records to qualify for court appointed counsel as an ADA accommodation. The court appointment rate is currently set by Superior Court at $85.00 per hour.
Any attorney who is interested in being placed on the ADA Appointment List, should provide the below listed information to Dea Finigan, Deputy Court Administrator, at Pierce County Superior Court, 930 Tacoma Avenue South, Room 334, Tacoma, WA. 98402. If you have questions please contact Ms. Finigan at (253) 798-4193.
- Full Name (First, M.I. Last)
- Business Mailing Address
- Business Physical Address (if different from the mailing address)
- Business Phone
- Business Fax
- Business E-Mail Address
- Practice Emphasis (i.e. what are your areas of expertise and what types of cases are you willing to accept for court appointment?)
There are no volunteer opportunities with Superior Court at this time.