Domestic Violence Unit

The Pierce County Sheriff's Department Domestic Violence Unit is comprised of detectives and deputies whose responsibility is to investigate domestic violence related crimes - including assaults, property damage, court order violations, rapes, threats, custodial interference and others. Additionally, unit members serve as liaisons to health care providers, advocacy groups and social agencies to improve identification and reporting of existing instances of domestic violence and develop prevention strategies linking law enforcement and community efforts.

The Domestic Violence Unit is located in the Family Justice Center at 718 Court E in downtown Tacoma.

FJC door (2)

Victim Assistance Information 

Domestic Violence Court Orders

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you can ask the city or county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint.  You also have the right to file a petition in superior, district, or municipal court requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse which could include any of the following:

  • An order restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse
  • An order directing your abuser to leave your household
  • An order preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment
  • An order awarding you or the other parent custody of, or visitation with, your minor child or children; and
  • An order restraining your abuser from molesting or interfering with minor children in your custody.

The forms you need to obtain a protection order are available in any municipal, district, or superior court.

Extreme Risk Protection Orders

An Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) directs a person to surrender their firearms and makes it illegal to purchase or have control of firearms.  It can be filed against a person who poses a significant danger of causing personal injury to self or others in the near future by having firearms.  A petition can be filed by a person who is a family or household member of the respondent or a law enforcement agency.

You can download the forms or get them from the Pierce County Clerk’s Office.  If you need assistance with the forms you can call the Pierce County Crisis Line at 1-800-576-7764.

Victim Information & Notification Everyday (VINE)

VINE is a free and anonymous computer-based service that provies victims of crime two important services: information and notification on the custody status of an inmate.

For offender custody information, call 1-877-846-3492 and follow the prompts.  Callers can search the database and will quickly receive information on whther the inmate is still in custody.  Victims may call VINE from any phone at any time to check on an inmate's custody status.

Callers may also choose to regsiter for an automated notification call when an inmate is released, transferred, or in the event of an escape.  To register, caller simply enter the phone number (including area code) where they wanted to be reached.  Callers will then be asked to enter a PIN number for use during notification.  The service will automatically call when the inmate is released, transferred or in the event of an escape.

Victim Resources

Pierce County Sheriff’s Department - Emergency 911
Pierce County Sheriff’s Department - Non Emergency 253-798-4721
Pierce County Sheriff’s Department - Domestic Violence Unit 253-798-7530
Crisis Line 253-798-4333
Rebuilding Hope Sexual Assault Center  253-597-6424
Pierce County Prosecutors Office - Domestic Violence Unit 253-798-7446
Pierce County Clerks Office - Domestic Violence Protection Orders 253-798-8827
Crystal Judson Family Justice Center 253-798-4310
Pierce County Domestic Violence Helpline 253-798-4166
Pierce County Domestic Violence Helpline - Toll Free 1-800-764-2420
Pierce County Domestic Violence Helpline - TTY for hearing & speech impaired 253-798-4620
YWCA Women’s Shelter                                                                                       253-383-2593
Family Renewal Shelter 253-475-9010
Tacoma Community House 253-383-3951
Salvation Army 253-572-8452
Korean Women’s Association & Shelter 253-359-0470
Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-562-6025
Catherine Place 253-572-3547
Our Sister’s House 253-383-4275
Community Health Care - Behavioral Health Services                                                  253-722-2161
Greater Lakes Mental Health 253-581-7020