Driving Classes for Seniors
AARP offers a Driver Safety Class (formerly known as 55 Alive). The AARP Driver Safety Program is the nation's first and largest classroom driver refresher course specially designed for motorists age 50 and older.
Call the ADRC for a listing of current classes at (253) 798-4600 or (800) 562-0332.
The eight-hour course is taught in two four-hour sessions spanning two days. The price is $10.
Upon successfully completing the course, graduates of the AARP Driver Safety Program may be eligible to receive a state-mandated multi-year discount on their auto insurance premiums. Since 1979, more than 7.5 million people have completed the course.
In Pierce County
To find a class near you, call (253) 588-8117 or 1-888-227-7669. Classes are usually offered at the Elks Club in Tacoma or at one of the local senior centers.
You can also call 1 (888) AARP-NOW (227-7669) to find a course by phone. It's a toll-free call. Please be ready to give your 5-digit zip code. A local volunteer will call you back within 3-5 business days to help you locate the course nearest you.
The course is designed to help you:
- Tune up your driving skills and update your knowledge of the rules of the road
- Learn about normal age-related physical changes and how to adjust your driving to allow for these changes
- Reduce your traffic violations, crashes and chances for injuries
- Drive more safely
- Get an insurance discount
- Many auto insurance companies provide a multiyear discount to Safe Driving graduates!
What Will You Learn by Taking the Course?
- Current rules of the road
- How to operate your vehicle more safely in today's increasingly challenging driving environment
- Adjustments to common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time
- Maintaining proper following distance at all times
- The safest way to change lanes and make turns at intersections
- The effects of medications on driving
- Minimizing the effect of dangerous blind spots
- Limiting driver distractions such as eating, smoking and cell phone use
- Properly using safety belts, air bags and anti-lock brakes
- Maintaining physical flexibility
- Continuing to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
- Though geared for drivers age 50 and older, the course is open to people of any age
- AARP membership is not required to take the course
- There is no final test to pass
- The course is taught by AARP-trained volunteers.
- The course fee is $10
Take Course Online
- Same valuable information and strategies for safe driving
- Self-paced and interactive
- Round-the-clock customer support available by phone and email while you take the course
- 30-day timeframe in which to complete the course
- Simple online registration
- Convenient and secure payment transaction via credit card
- Certificate mailed directly to your home when you complete the course
- The course fee is only $15.95 for AARP members and $19.95 for non-members
- Find out more about taking the Safe Driver Course online