The Tourism Promotion Area (TPA) program is funded through a special fee on lodging provided by hotels with 40 rooms or more throughout Pierce County. Funds are used to promote tourism and increase overnight stays at lodging facilities.
TPA board members are recommended by the Pierce County Lodging Association, appointed by the Pierce County Executive, and confirmed by the Pierce County Council.
For more information, contact Kathy Sorgenfrei at (253) 798-6906.
All meetings are open to the public and will be held at the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center (Boardroom North), 1500 Broadway Street, Tacoma, WA, 98402 unless otherwise indicated.
Any changes to the schedule or meeting place, including cancellations or special meetings, will be posted on this page and will be prominently displayed at the Pierce County Economic Development Department office at 950 Pacific Avenue, Suite 720, in Tacoma.
Submissions are closed for 2019 Funding.
The 2019 application packet is due by July 25, 2018. Upon submission, the application packet must include the following:
- TPA Master Application
- Applicable Sub-Application(s) - see list below
- TPA Master Budget Detail spreadsheet
- Financial Documents:
- Organization's 2018 Operating Budget
- June 30, 2018 Financial Statement including Balance Sheet and Income Statement
- Non-Profit IRS Determination Letter
- Articles of Incorporation/By-Laws
- Designation of Authorized Official Letter
- Authorization to Request Funds Letter
General introduction application workshops will be held at the Pierce County Library Processing and Administrative Center, 3005 112th St, Tacoma, WA, on the following dates and times:
- June 13 - 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- June 14 - 8:30 am to 10:30 am
- June 19 - 8:30 am to 10:30 am
- June 20 - 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm
We are also offering one-on-one application workshops; please contact Kathy Sorgenfrei at 253-798-6906 to schedule an appointment with PCEDD or Bethanie.Parker@am.jll.com to schedule a time to connect with JLL (Jones, Lang, LaSalle).
- Pierce County Tourism Funding Strategic Plan
- Intercept Survey Results
- Twitter Analysis
- Pierce County Reimbursement Policy
- TPA Scoring Matrices
- Kathy Sorgenfrei, Economic Development Department: firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-798-6906
- Dan Fenton with JLL: email@example.com or (831) 298-7215
- Bethanie Parker with JLL: firstname.lastname@example.org or (609) 457-5361
Ord 2009-110s - An Ordinance of the Pierce County Council Creating a Pierce County Tourism Promotion Area (TPA) and Imposing a Special Assessment on the Operators of Lodging Businesses within the TPA Pursuant to Chapter 35.101 Revised Code of Washington (RCW); Adopting a New Chapter 4.18 of the Pierce County Code (PCC), 'Tourism Promotion Area Special Assessment'; Creating a 'Tourism Promotion Area Fund' and Amending Chapter 4.48 PCC, 'County Funds'; Creating the 'Tourism Promotion Area Hotel Commission' and Adopting a New Chapter 2.91 PCC; and Setting an Effective Date for the Special Assessment.
Economic Development Department
950 Pacific Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98402
Ph: (253) 798-6150
Fx: (253) 798-6389
Monday - Friday
-8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m