Arts, Culture & Tourism
Pierce County conducted a study in 2015 surveying visitors to Pierce County.
Visitors At a Glance
- Average household income: $98,000
- Generally from the West: top origin states include Washington, Oregon, and California. 70% are married.
- Average travel party: about 3 people
- Average Age: 46 32% of visitors are accompanied by minor children.
2015 U.S. Open Championship
The 2015 U.S. Open Championship was marked by its many firsts. It was the first U.S. Open in the 115-year history of the championship to be played in the Pacific Northwest. Click here to learn more.
U.S. Open At a Glance
- 235,000 Gate Entries over 7 days
- An economic impact of over $140 million
- Over $8 million in State Tax Revenue generated
- 150 million people watching the event
New Tourism Funding Direction
As a result of the Pierce County Tourism Strategic planning process, a new tourism funding direction has been launched. Pierce County’s tourism efforts are focused on generating incremental overnight stays through four key priorities. Projects submitted through the application process must support these four priorities:
- Drive Overnight Visitors — All funded programs must proactively generate overnight visitors
- Leverage Proven or Identified Demand Generators — All funded programs must incorporate and leverage the existing demand generators
- Focus on Specified Target Markets — All funded programs must include identified target markets and how the program will reach and convert them to overnight stays
- Balanced Funding Approach — 2019 Funding Allocations are:
|Lodging Tax||Tourism Promotion Area|