Train My Employees
Workforce Central – Business Connection offers free core services such as employee recruitment and prescreening of skilled applicants. Their other fee based services include:
- Computerized job matching and referral of quality applicants
- Electronic job posting and resume banks
- Customized training packages to upgrade worker skills
- Competitive intelligence information on wages, occupations and business trends
- Access to tax incentives
WorkForce Central - Business Connection offers three training options for Pierce County employers: Work Experience, Internship and On-the-Job Training. The first two options are when a trainee’s costs are maintained on its payroll:
- Work Experience is a match of job seeker interest to business need for a limited number of hours of wages and fringe benefits. These are paid to provide a candidate experience working in your industry. There is not an expectation that the trainee will be hired by your company.
- Internship is a cost-sharing arrangement in which WorkForce Central prescreens applicants and nominates them for placement in a position with your business. A portion of the cost for screening, placement and the intern’s wages and benefits are shared between your business and Workforce Central.
- On-the-job training is an arrangement in which an individual is hired as your employee and placed on your payroll. Job-specific skills to be learned are outlined in a contracted training plan for a specified period. Applicants are screened and placed to provide a benefit to your business by providing their skills, labor and through paid wages shared by WorkForce Central.
- A maximum of 50 percent of the wages and fringe benefits can be shared during the training period and are outlined as a contracted service by our organization.
The Washington Customized Training Program (CTP) was created by the State Legislature to provide training assistance to businesses that provide employment opportunities in Washington.
Training is provided by community, technical or private career colleges and can include formal training in:
- Basic education and skills
- English language for non-native speakers
- Technical skills and job-related instruction
- Skills assessment and evaluation
- Training equipment, materials, facilities and supplies
The first payment will be equal to 25 percent of the full cost of the training program and is due upon completion of the training. The remaining 75 percent is spread over the next 18 months. As each payment is made the business may take a state B&O tax credit equal to 50 percent of the payment. Thus, the total tax credit will be equal to 50 percent of the full cost of the training program.
Job Skills Program
Washington's Job Skills Program (JSP) is training customized to meet employers' specific needs. Training is delivered to new or current employees at the work site or in a classroom.
JSP funds half of the training cost. Partner employers provide a cash or in-kind match to fund the other half.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at (253) 798-6150 or email Hans Kueck.