Wednesday Jun 27 2012 10:36 AM
Editor's note: updates to delete reference to a City Blast show in Puyallup and Orting fireworks show
In 2011, the Pierce County Fire Marshal's Office reported that 24 fires and 27 injuries in Pierce County were caused by fireworks. With the 4th of July just around the corner, community members, parents, emergency officials and responders are calling attention to fireworks safety.
"We want the public to know how dangerous fireworks can be and that fireworks safety should not be taken lightly," said Pierce County Fire Marshal Warner Webb.
The following information contains safety tips, a list of public firework shows, and a list of firework regulations by community.
Be Prepared...before you light fireworks- Only use fireworks purchased from state licensed fireworks stands--illegal fireworks are subject to immediate confiscation and possible criminal charges.- Store fireworks out of children's reach.
- Keep pets safe indoors.- Always keep water handy.
Be Safe...when lighting fireworks- Only adults should light fireworks.- Only use fireworks outdoors.
- Do not throw fireworks or hold fireworks in your hands.- Protect your eyes.
- Light one firework at a time and move away quickly--never relight a "dud".
Be Responsible...after you finish- Soak used fireworks in water.
- Be considerate and clean up used fireworks.- Remember firework debris belong in the trash NOT the recycle bin.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
The best and safest way to celebrate the 4th of July holiday is to attend a public fireworks show where you know the people organizing the event are trained on fire safety. People are welcome to attend any of the following public fireworks shows:
- July 3: Fireworks Display203 Lynch St. West, Eatonville
- July 3: Post Game Fireworks ShowCheney Stadium, Tacoma
- July 4: Henderson Bay FireworksPurdy Spit, Gig Harbor
- July 4: Fireworks DisplayWest side of Tapps Is., Tacoma Pt., Evergreen Pt., and Inlet Is.
- July 4: Steilacoom Old Fashioned 4th of JulyLafayette St., Steilacoom
- July 4: Freedom Fair and Fireworks ExtravaganzaRuston Way Waterfront Park, Tacoma
Depending on where you live, the use of fireworks may be restricted or banned.
To learn more about fireworks safety, visit www.piercecountywa.org/FPB or contact the Pierce County Fire Marshal's Office at PCFirePrevention@co.pierce.wa.us.
Kristin Tinsley, Emergency Management public information officer253-798-3686 (desk)